PARKS AND RECREATION COMMITTEE MEETING
Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 5:30 p.m.
Administrative Complex Board Meeting Room
The January meeting of the Santa Rosa County Parks and Recreation Committee was held at the Administrative Complex beginning at 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday, January 28, 2015. The following members were present representing the sports associations and host organizations: Steven Thames, East Milton Recreational Park; Larry Dixon, Navarre Sports Complex/Navarre Soccer Complex/Holley Ball Field; Scott Martin, Futbol Club of Santa Rosa, Inc.; and Tim Wheat, Pace Area Tennis Association.
Absent were representatives from Pace Athletic and Recreational Park/Santa Rosa Sportsplex, Fidelis Community Center and Park, Benny Russell Park, Swenson Park, Tiger Point Recreational Park, and Chumuckla Community Center and Park.
Present also were the Special Projects/Grants Coordinator, Sheila Harris and Administrative Services Manager, Tammy Simmons. A copy of the sign-in sheet is attached for reference.
The meeting was called to order at 5:30 p.m.
Minutes from the October 22, 2014 meeting were approved without objection as written.
Sheila Harris presented the attendees with a PowerPoint presentation of the proposed 2014/2015 Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF) Grant Application for improvements at the Navarre Park. A copy of the presentation is included for reference.
2014/2015 Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF) Grant Application
· Federal competitive grant program that provides grants for acquisition or development of land for public outdoor recreation use
· Maximum grant request is $200,000
· Matching requirement is 50/50
· Only one application can be submitted at a time
· Applications must involve only one project site except for acquisition or development of sandy beach access
· Improved sites must be dedicated in perpetuity for outdoor recreation use
· More than half of project request must represent “primary recreation facilities” defined as any facility which could stand alone and provide outdoor recreation without a support facility. Examples include but are not limited to:
o Beach access
o Trailhead and trailside facilities
o Fishing piers, boardwalks
o Boat ramps and docks
o Canoe, hiking, nature and bike trails
o Ball fields
o Tennis and basketball courts
o Swimming pools
· Support facilities mean a facility which could not stand alone, or which would have little or no public outdoor recreational value without the primary facility. Examples include but are not limited to:
o Parking lots
o Combined restroom-concession stand buildings
o Access roads
o Security lighting
o Interpretive signage
Located at 8513 Navarre Pkwy., Navarre, Florida
Navarre Park – Existing Facilities
· 2 covered pavilions
· 4 covered gazebo/picnic area
· Playground/play areas
· Splash Pad
· Basketball Court
· Nature Walk
· Bathroom (under construction)
· Fishing pier
· Tourist Information Center
· Parking Lot
· Butterfly House
Navarre Park Proposed Improvements
- Installation of Kayak Launch/pathway
- Playground renovations/enhancements
- ADA play equipment and surface improvements
- Installation of additional picnic tables and shade structures
- Additional seating/benches
- Basketball court renovations
- Replacement/repair of existing boardwalk
- Splash pad enhancements
- Security lighting
Proposed Items Pictures
- Proposed Kayak Launch options
- Picnic/Shade area near playground
Request up to $ 400,000
- LWCF Funds Requested $ 200,000
- Local Match (Dist. 4 Rec Funds) $ 200,000
*100% Match is required
- Parks Advisory Committee Meeting
- Wednesday, January 28, 2015 – 5:30 pm
- Navarre Chamber Foundation – Navarre VIC
- Tuesday, February 3, 2015 – 5:00 pm
- Board of Commissioners Meeting – Tiger Point Community Center
- Thursday, February 12, 2015 – 9:30 am
LWCF Grant Information
· LWCF program has been funded at minimum levels in 2010/2011, 2012/2013 and 2013/2014 cycles
· Available program funds for 2014/2015 have not been determined and are contingent upon annual congressional appropriation.
· Projects will be scored and prioritized in summer/fall 2015
· Congress will consider priority list and recommend funding levels no later than summer 2016
· Grant awards (if funded) will be made on or before September 2016
Public Input Session
Tim Wheat, PATA, questioned if the same project can be submitted for both the LWCF and FRDAP grant? Harris stated you can apply for both grants utilizing the same project; however, if the same project is awarded both grants, the County will only be allowed to accept either the LWCF or FRDAP grant according to the grant applications.
Dixon questioned how Navarre Park is going to expand its amenities with the current situation of limited open space? Harris stated all the details have not been worked out for the February 27, 2015 submittal deadline. Simmons’ invited Dixon to the following public input meetings as the details become well defined with public input.
Discussion took place on the new background screening laws and procedures. Simmons stated the screenings will have to take place on an annual basis; the Board of County Commissioners has approved funding the screening for the first year due to cost increase from $2.50 to $7.00 per screening. Simmons’ further stated the agreement process is not complete at this time; once the agreement is signed by both parties; the screening process can begin again. Dixon requested this committee review the current volunteer policy and chart of offences at our next meeting.
The next scheduled meeting will take place on February 25, 2015. The meeting adjourned at 6:20 p.m.