Building Inspection Department

Most Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) List


1.  When is a building permit required?

Section 104.1.1 of the Florida Building Code states: "Any owner, authorized agent, or contractor who desires to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy or occupant content of a building or structure, or any outside area being used as part of the building's designated occupancy (single or mixed) or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert, or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by the technical codes, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit for the work.”

2.  Where do I get a permit?
Santa Rosa County Building Inspection Department.  We have two locations:

·         Public Services Building, 6051 Old Bagdad Hwy., Rm 202, Milton, FL - Office Hours: Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri - 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Wednesday 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

·         South End Administrative Complex, 5819 Gulf Breeze Pkwy, Gulf Breeze, Florida - Office Hours:  Mon – Fri - 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon

3.  How do I know if I am dealing with a reputable Contractor?

·         Verify that the contractor is licensed both with the State of Florida and the County Building Inspection Department. Ask to see proof!

·         Verify that the contractor is insured. State law requires that they carry worker’s compensation insurance.  Additionally, local ordinances require that the contractor has general liability insurance. Ask to see a certificate of insurance.

  •   Ask for references and check them out!
  •   Make sure all agreements are in writing! Be sure that all change orders, or contract amendments are in writing too.

·         Make sure the contractor obtains all required permits and code inspections.