Most Frequently Asked Questions

1.  Where is the closest landfill to me?

The only landfill that can take household garbage, yard and construction debris is central Landfill located at 6337 Da Lisa Road, just southwest of Milton. 


2.  Is there anywhere to take yard debris/construction debris in the north or south end of the county?


On the north end of the county is a transfer station located south of Jay off Hwy 89 on Transfer Station Road. They primarily accept household garbage. The phone number is 850-675-4054. They are open 8:00-4:00 Tuesday – Saturday.

On the south end of the county, the City of Gulf Breeze has a transfer station site on Shoreline Drive. They do not accept household garbage, household hazardous chemicals (including gas, oil, paint, and fertilizers) or propane tanks. The phone number is 934-5109. They are open Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday 7:30-4:00.

The County does not operate any sites in the Navarre area however there are privately owned companies in the Navarre area that accept construction and/or yard debris.  They are located along River Road just north of East River Bridge.


3.  What are the landfill’s hours of operation?

Central Landfill’s hours of operation are 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday -Saturday.  It is open all holidays except Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Call 850-623-9843 with any questions.


Jay Transfer Station is open Tuesday through Saturday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.


4.  What are the landfill charges and what will they take?


The landfill accepts household garbage, construction and yard debris, batteries, computers, scrap metal, appliances and more.  For specific questions call 850-623-9843.

The charges are: (tires are .75 cent each or $80 ton)

  • Class I:

Household garbage is $32.00 per ton with a $3.00 minimum charge for up to 180 pounds.

  • Class III:

Construction and yard debris is $18.00 per ton with a $3.00 minimum charge for up to 360 pounds for non-business customers. Commercial Class III is $22.00 per ton with a $3.00 minimum charge.

(Compressors should be removed from air condition units and ballast should be removed from florescent units.)

  • No Charges for disposal of used oil, filters, old antifreeze or old gas for non-business customers only.

There are limits on:

  • Paint – 20/25 gallons

  • Fluorescent Bulbs – 10 bulbs

  • Oil – up to 5 gallons.

  • Tires – 10 tire limit


5.  When is Household Hazardous Waste Day?

Household Hazardous Waste Day (Amnesty Day) is held once a year, usually in March or April. Look for announcement in your local paper.