Create PDF
Approved Aug 4, 2009 - Marine Advisory Minutes

August 4, 2009
Milton, Florida

The Marine Advisory Committee met on the above date with the following members present: Chairman Jeff Marker and members Rick Harris, Dan Wakley, Pasco Gibson and John Griffing (arrived about 5:30). Also present were the County Administrator (Hunter Walker), County Engineer (Roger Blaylock), Marine Extension Agent (Christine Verlinde), and Public Works Director (Avis Whitfield). Chairman Marker called the meeting to order at 5:10 p.m.

The minutes of the July 7, 2009 meeting were approved.

DERELICT VESSEL UPDATE

Roger Blaylock noted that Mr. Walker had provided the committee with a “Scope of Work” (Attachment A to the Professional Service Agreement for PBS&J) for removal of the derelict vessel “Symphonia”. He noted the PBS&J is the State’s consultant contractor for the State’s program. PBS&J does environmental assessments, permitting and the permit compliance. They select the contractor and do the construction monitoring. Rick Harter with PBS&J emailed Mr. Walker estimating that it would be approximately $90,000 just for cut up and removal of the Symphonia. That does not include their other fees which will be approximately another 20 percent. He mentioned trying to float it but from other reports it is not in any condition to be floated because of the condition of the hull. Mr. Harter’s correspondence also mentioned using it in a reef location but Mr. Blaylock believes that there will be problems with the steel meeting the new requirements. Mr. Marker asked if Mr. Harter had actually viewed the vessel. Mr. Walker said that Mr. Harter will be familiar with the Symphonia because this is the number one project on the State’s priority list when money becomes available. Mr. Wakley requested that we confirm with the State that this project is on the list and get something in writing. Mr. Walker said that his staff will handle it. Further discussion was held about the bidding and permit process for possible removal using Boater Improvement Funds. Mr. Wakley asked if the State has a blanket permit for removal of derelict vessels. Mr. Blaylock said he will check on that issue and report at the next meeting.

CHAIRMAN / MEMBER ISSUES / REPORTS

Mr. Marker asked how fishing line or monofilament is being recycled. Chris Verlinde presented a recycling receptacle to show what is currently being used in the area. Roger Blaylock said the county is not currently handling the recycling of monofilament but suggested that area bait and tackle stores may be providing the service. He will investigate and report findings at the next MAC meeting. Jonathan Brown of Bell Lane in Pace representing Boy Scout Pack 400 indicated that his group may be able to donate time either to construct recycling bins or by retrieving the monofilament. Ms. Verlinde said that if the group could clean out the hooks and other nonrecycelable material that she will
handle sending it to the appropriate recycling facility. Jeff Marker asked if braid line is acceptable for recycling and Pasco Gibson asked about floracarbon. Chris Verlinde said she will check and report her findings. She will work with Mr. Brown on identifying ramps for collection sites and the process to ready the monofilament for recycling. Discussion continued on sites that need to have recycling bins installed and possible organizations to maintain them. Mr. Marker advised Mr. Brown that he will get back with him with more information for the scouts about maintaining specific recycling locations. Warren Samoluk, Benton Blvd in Pace, Charter Organization Representative for three scouting units said he can be a liaison with other scouting units in the local area and he can advertise for scouting units that can adopt other areas.

Mr. Marker noted that pursuing an artificial reef zone similar to the one in Escambia County may be a waste of county staff time since there is no money to fund the project. Rick Harris made a motion to table the issue until a more appropriate time which was seconded by John Griffing. The motion was approved unanimously.

Mr. Marker said that he will do a letter by the next MAC meeting for Commissioner Salter to sign voicing the County’s displeasure with the way the Boater Improvement Funds may be spent.

Discussion was held concerning requesting the TDC designate a portion of their funding for nearshore reef projects. Mr. Marker volunteered to approach the TDC with the request. Rick Harris made a motion for Mr. Marker to talk with the TDC about funding reef deployments in Santa Rosa County. Pasco Gibson seconded the motion and it passed unanimously.

STAFF UPDATES

Mr. Marker noted that the Boat Registration Fee has a current balance of $468,812.

Mr. Blaylock reported that we are still waiting for the Army Corp of Engineers to comment on the permit request for the Archie Glover Boat Ramp.

Mr. Marker said that the County did not receive the FWC grant for artificial reef deployment.

OTHER BUSINESS

Pasco Gibson mentioned that parking is needed at the Holley Boat ramp and that there may be land available for purchase in the area. Mr. Wakley volunteered to check and report on possible land availability.

Rick Harris complimented the Public Works Department on a job well done on the new dock at Archie Glover Boat Landing. He also mentioned that he has been approached about adding water lines with hoses to rinse a boat and trailer off when they come out of the salt water. Some concern was expressed about people using it to clean fish. No action was taken.

NEXT MEETING DATE

The next meeting is scheduled for October 6, 2009 at 5:00 p.m.

ADJOURNMENT

There being no further business to come before the Committee at this time, the meeting adjourned at 6:15 p.m.