Create PDF
Approved Feb 1, 2011 - Marine Advisory Minutes

February 1, 2011
Milton, Florida

The Marine Advisory Committee met on the above date with the following members present: Chairman Jeff Marker and members Rick Harris and Pasco Gibson. Also present were the County Administrator, Hunter Walker; Public Works Director, Avis Whitfield; County Engineer, Roger Blaylock and Marine Extension Agent, Chris Verlinde. Chairman Marker called the meeting to order at 5:00 p.m.

The minutes of the January 11, 2011 meeting were approved.

ARTIFICIAL REEF DEPLOYMENT GRANT PARNERSHIP

Jeff Marker said that there was a misunderstanding at the last meeting on which grant application had become available but he has talked with Robert Turpin and if the MAC will recommend to the Commission that Santa Rosa County put up $5,000 then Escambia County will provide $5000 to provide a $10,000 match for funds requested to the fundshe Sport Fish Restoration Fund.

Chris Verlinde noted that the Sport Fish Restoration Fund is at the Federal level and that no match is required to apply for the FWC state administered artificial reef grant program, but with a match we may increase our chances of receiving fundsing.

After further discussion about deployment of reef material Pasco Gibson made a motion to ask the Board of County Commissioners for a $5,000 grant match. The motion was seconded by Rick Harris and carried without objection.

PROJECTS / ISSUES UPDATE

Avis Whitfield reported that the access gate to Sandy Landing is still closed at the hunting club and as soon as they are opened Mr. Blaylock will get a survey crew out there. Once the boundary survey is complete the County can close on the property and the next step will be getting permits. The property owner wanted to have a phase one environmental study done on the old Sandy Landing site so that when it is returned to them they can make sure that they don’t end up with some environmental problems. They paid for the survey and stated in an email dated today that they received their report and there are no problems.

Mr. Blaylock noted that when they can get into the area it will take about 90 days of cutting lines, boundary and topo and wetland identification. Then about 60 days preparing layout, grading and stormwater design. It will take about 90 days for permitting review and approval and another 90 days for clearing, grubbing and construction. It is expected to be completed about the first of next year.

Mr. Marker asked for input on adding an “L” to the dock at the oyster pile so that boats can tie up without swinging around and damaging the rocks. Mr. Harris said that it is his experience that your boat is either across the launch ramp or up against the rocks because of the current. If you could “L” or “T” it out that would be a nice addition especially for
boaters that are by themselves. Mr. Gibson said that it is good ramp with deep water and a well used spot. Mr. Whitfield said that it is a very difficult area to get piling down. It will not be an easy project. It can be done but will be difficult to construct. Mr. Gibson suggested a floating dock running parallel to the shore. Mr. Whitfield will look into it and bring something to the next meeting.

Mr. Blaylock said that the weather has the dredging at Archie Glover boat ramp behind schedule but it will begin again next week.

Mr. Walker noted that the abandon property ordinance will be on the Board’s next agenda which does include abandoned boats.

Mr. Marker asked if the FWC has tagged the abandoned boat anchored off of Marquis Basin. Ms. Verlinde said she will check and report back at the next meeting.

Mr. Harris asked if there was anything new to report on the Live Oak property. After some discussion it was noted that the Board should be updated on the new location available for acquisition since the Board’s objection was the location.

OTHER BUSINESS

No new business.

NEXT MEETING DATE

The next meeting is scheduled for March 1, 2011 at 5:00 p.m. ADJOURNMENT There being no further business to come before the Committee at this time, the meeting adjourned at 5:20 p.m.