September 12, 2006
The meeting was called to order at 3:00 p.m. with the following members and staff present:
· Mr. Greg Fountain, Chairman
· Mr. Gaius Bruce, Co-Chairman
· Ms. Julie Seanor, Committee Member
· Ms. Joanne Connor, Committee Member
· Mr. Kenneth Walters, Committee Member
· Ms. Sarah Hernandez, Committee Advisor
· Ms. Sharon A. Bryant, Committee Member
· Ms. Beckie Faulkenberry, Director and Staff to the Committee
· Ms. Laurie Schulze, Recorder and Staff to the Committee
The following members were absent:
· Ms. Shirley Brown, Committee Member
Mr. Greg Fountain paraphrased the minutes from the July 11, 2006 meeting. The minutes were accepted.
The board then moved on to consider individual cases on the agenda.
The first case was the on-premise sign for Island Style Navarre, 2006-NAARB-010. Mr. Richard Ausdran presented this project. The board discussed the background illumination, which is not permitted. The board then discussed the colors. Mr. Richard Ausdran chose Green 6454 Shamrock replacing 6431 Leap Frog, and Blue 6496 Oceanside replacing 1755 Windsurf Blue. Ms. Joanne Connor moved to approve the project with the changes. Ms. Julie Seanor seconded the motion. The project was approved, with changes.
The second case was the on-premise signage for Aveda Lifestyle Salon & Spa/Wabi Sabi, 2006-NAARB-011. Mr. Chris Short presented this project. The lighting on this sign will be behind the letters. Ms. Sharon Bryant moved to approve the project. Ms. JoAnne Connor seconded the motion. The project was approved.
The third case was the on-premise signage for Upscale Kids Consignment. Mr. Terry Akens presented this project. The board discussed the colors; the red and green chosen do not fall within the approved color pallet, however they already exist on the building. Mr. Gaius Bruce moved to approve the project. Mr. Kenneth Walters seconded the motion. The project was approved with 5 ayes, 2 nays. It was noted that this was an exception since the colors were pre-existing on the building.
The fourth case was the wall signage for Childcare Network, 2006-NAARB-013. Mr. Jim Hodges presented this project. Mr. Kenneth Walters moved to approve the project with the condition that the colors be submitted to the Planning & Zoning Department staff for approval. Ms. Sharon Bryant seconded the motion. The project was approved with 6 ayes, 1 nay.
The board discussed and made the following decisions regarding sign regulation:
· Are the colors of signs regulated? The board recommended yes, they are to be compatible with the approved color pallet because they are a significant component of architectural character. One board member was opposed.
· The background of illuminated signs cannot be illuminated; only the lettering
· The elements of the logo may be lit, however, the background has to be opaque
· Plastic is not a “compatible material” for the approved architectural styles within the Town Center, but is acceptable within the Heart of Navarre.
There was general discussion of a few sites/developments in the Navarre area.
The meeting adjourned at 5:00 p.m.
Minutes approved by the Board on November 14, 2006