Board of County Commissioners
About the Board
The Board of County Commissioners consists of five constitutional officers or five elected commissioners, who are elected at large to serve and represent one of five districts and the county as a whole, as the governing body for Santa Rosa County. The Santa Rosa County Board of County Commissioners serves as the legislative and policy setting body of Santa Rosa County as established under Section 125 of the Florida Statutes.
Each member must reside within the particular district for which seat he / she seeks election. Each year the board organizes itself selecting a chair and vice-chair from among its members to preside at commission meetings.
The board duties include, but are not limited to:
- Adopting and ratifying ordinances and resolutions as needed for the enforcement of county-wide actions.
- Adopting, reviewing, and adjusting the annual county budget and authorizing expenditures.
- Appointing the county administrator, county attorney, and county representatives to other governmental boards or committees.
- Communicating to state and federal government agencies and officials the needs and concerns of Santa Rosa County residents and our community.
- Establishing policies and procedures for county departments to meet county goals.
- Other duties and responsibilities that may be enacted by the federal government, state legislature and governor.
- Ratifying, modifying or denying the actions of commissions and boards which are advisory to the county.
- Representing the county on administrative / advisory boards, commissions, and associations which provided direct and indirect county services, on a local, regional and state level.
- Reviewing the effectiveness of county services and programs as performed by the departments under the board of county commissioners. Departments primarily provide development, building, emergency, environmental, road, and park functions or services.
- Setting and authorizing the levy and collection of county-wide property taxes, with the exception of school board, water and fire district millage rates.
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
- 9 a.m.on the second and fourth Thursday of every month. Discussion of agenda items takes place during Committee meetings on the Monday prior to the second and fourth Thursday of each month.
- Administrative Center
6495 Caroline Street
Commissioners' Board Room
Milton, FL 32570