1000 Books Before Kindergarten
Did you know that reading to your child is one of the most powerful ways to boost his or her brain power? The simple and enjoyable act of sharing books helps your child learn pre-reading skills such as understanding the sounds letters make, developing a bigger vocabulary, and building background knowledge-all important skills that help prepare your child for learning to read and entering kindergarten.
Santa Rosa County Library System´s 1000 Books Before Kindergarten program is a fun, exciting, and free way to start your child on the path to success! Any child can participate as long as they have not started kindergarten. Visit your local library to sign your child up and receive a welcome folder with everything you need to start the program.
Other Reading Lists
- Sunshine State Young Readers Jr. (PDF)
- Sunshine State Readers List (PDF) for Grades 3 to 5
- Sunshine State Readers List (PDF) for Grades 6 to 8
- 100 Great Children’s Books: A recommended list from the New York Public Library divided by topics, including:
- Animal stories
- Much more
- Between the Lions Book List for preschoolers
- Caldecott Medal and Honor Books (1938 to present)
- Newbery Medal and Honor Books (1922 to present)
- Coretta Scott King Book Awards (1974 to present)
- Book Adventure: Book Adventure is a free reading motivation program for children in grades Kindergarten to 8. Children create their own book lists from over 7,000 recommended titles, take multiple choice quizzes on the books they’ve read, and earn points and prizes for their literary successes. Book Adventure was created by and is maintained by Sylvan Learning.