Policy 1: Borrowing Library Materials
Library patrons with valid Santa Rosa County library cards:
- Are responsible for returning items by the due date and will be charged for materials that are not returned.
- Are solely responsible for materials that are checked out on their library card.
- May borrow materials owned by the library system and housed in each library.
- May designate another person to use their library card and check out library materials for them only if the library card owner has challenges that restrict personal visits to the library.
- An Alternate Library Card User application must be completed and signed by the library card owner and returned to the Library Manager for approval.
- May obtain a library card at any Santa Rosa County Library.
- May use one card to borrow materials at any Santa Rosa County Library.
- Parents / Guardians are responsible for library materials that are checked out by minor children.
- Will be charged if items are returned with damages or with missing components.
Library Cards are required to:
- Access licensed electronic resources provided by the library.
- Borrow library materials.
- Reserve public computers.
- Persons without Santa Rosa County resident library cards may be issued a guest pass for two computer sessions per day.
All applicants must comply with the following:
- Adult applicants (18 years or older) need photo identification and proof of Santa Rosa County residency. A valid driver's license in the new secure format (issued beginning August 2017) will suffice. If your driver's license is not in the updated format or does not yet contain your current address, a document such as a utility bill or apartment lease can be used to verify your address.
- Address verification documents include a valid Florida driver license, voter registration card, utility statement, bank statement, or current mail (in the applicant’s name) received at the applicant’s address. Advertisement flyers, circulars, and other “junk mail” are not accepted as proof of residency.
- Exception: Military must present one piece of address verification.
- Applicants may apply for cards for other household members (adults or children).
- Adults not present at the time of application must show a current photo ID upon first library visit for card to be activated.
- Child cards will be activated upon the child's first visit to the library.
Issuing a Card
Library cards will be issued at no charge to:
- Active Duty Military
- Includes family members who reside at same address
- Military ID must be presented.
- One piece of SRC residency verification is required.
- Pensacola Beach Residents:
- Includes PB property owners who can verify property ownership
- Library cards are valid for one year.
- Library cards may be renewed annually if all accounts at the address are clear.
- Two pieces of Pensacola Beach residency verification are required.
- Santa Rosa County Residents
- Two pieces of SRC residency verification are required.
- Temporary Residents:
- Are issued temporary cards that are valid for six months and may be renewed once, provided all library materials have been returned and no fees are owed.
- Must provide verification of temporary SRC residence, permanent residence, and length of stay.
- Must verify intent to reside in Santa Rosa County for at least three months.
- Who return annually and are in good standing may reactivate existing cards with verifying documentation.
- Non-Santa Rosa County Residents
- Property/Business Owners: Persons who pay property taxes in Santa Rosa county and can verify property ownership - SRC Property Appraiser website or a current property tax statement or receipt. Library cards are valid for one year only and may be reactivated (for one year) provided all accounts at the address are clear and proof of continued ownership of property in Santa Rosa County is found on the Santa Rosa county Property Appraiser's website.
- Educators and employees of City, County or State Government who work in Santa Rosa County are eligible for a library card with proof of employment.
- All other Non-Santa Rosa County residents are charged an annual $50 fee.
Borrower Registration Records
Borrower Registration Records:
- Library card information that is collected by the library and entered into the borrower's record includes name, primary and alternate addresses, phone numbers, and email address.
- Minors' (under age 18) date of birth and parent/guardian name, address, and email address are entered in youth accounts.
Replacement library cards are issued once the patron has shown proof of current residency and paid a $3 replacement fee.
Loan Policies include:
- Library patrons are categorized as Adult (18 and over), Seventeen (17), Teen (13 to 16), Tween (10 to 12), and Juvenile (9 and under).
- A total of 20 items may be checked out at a time across all collections with the following exceptions:
- Pensacola Beach Residents: 10 items
- Temporary Residents: 5 items
- A total of 10 holds are allowed at a time across all collections with the following exception:
- Temporary Residents: 5 holds at a time
- All library material may be renewed unless a “hold request” has been placed on the item.
- There are no fees if items are returned within one year of checkout in good condition.
- Replacement fees are added if items are not returned within one year of being billed, or if they are returned damaged or with missing components.
- Juvenile borrowers may check out any materials from the youth book collection, adult non-fiction, and juvenile media.
- Juvenile cardholders may access eBooks via Tumblebooks.
- Tween and Teen patrons may check out items from all collections except adult videos.
- Seventeen and Adult patrons may check out items from all collections
- Loan periods for library materials vary.
Checkout & Hold Limits
Material / Collection
|Checkouts Permitted At One Time||Holds Permitted At One Time||Length of Hold||Loan Period||Renewals (if no holds)|
|New Books||5||5||7 business days||21 days||3|
|eBooks||3||3||7 calendar days||21 days||unlimited|
|7 business days||21 days||3|
5 Tween Plus
5 Tween Plus
|7 business days||7 days||3|
|Music CD's||5 Adult|
|7 business days||21 days||3|
Requests & Holds
All requests and holds:
- Materials held for a patron can only be checked out on the card of the patron on the hold record.
- May be placed within the loan policies stated.
- The requester will be notified by email, phone, or text message when the material is available to be picked up.
Return of library materials:
- A date due slip is provided as a courtesy.
- Library materials are the property of Santa Rosa County.
- Materials may be returned to any Santa Rosa County library.
- The patron is responsible for the return of material by the due date.
Past due materials policy:
- Patrons will be charged for replacement cost of materials that are not returned, including the cost of the materials plus all associated steps in replacement.
- Patrons will receive a courtesy notice by email or phone when materials are past due.
Blocks from Library Services
All accounts at an address are blocked from checkout and public computer use when:
- Anyone at that address receives a bill at 30 days past due.
- Charges have been added to the patron's account for unreturned or damaged materials.
- An individual's account is blocked from checkout and public computer use when an item is 10 days past due.
Overdue & Lost / Reported Materials
Charges for long overdue, reported lost and damaged library materials Patrons will receive an invoice for non-refundable replacement costs when:
- If materials are not returned or payment is not received within one year of an invoice, charges must be paid to have the account cleared and all accounts at the address unblocked.
- Library materials are 30 days overdue.
- Library materials are returned with damages or missing components.
- Patrons report lost library material.
- A flat fee is charged per item. This fee includes not only the actual cost of the item but also all steps involved in de-processing and replacing the item including labor and time involved in:
- Cataloging, labeling, and processing
- Communicating with suppliers
- Inventory and delivery
- Placing an order
- Pulling a requisition
- Searching for and selecting a replacement
|Item to be Replaced||Replacement Cost|
|Audiobooks / Playaways||$50|
|Adult / Teen / Tween Hardbacks||$25|
|Blu-ray and DVD with 3 or more discs||$25|
|Juvenile / Easy Hardbacks||$10|
|DVD / VHS / Music with 2 or fewer discs||$10|
|Mass Market Paperbacks||$5|
|Media Artwork||No cost unless habitual ($5)|
- All payments are non-refundable even if library material is later returned.
- Checks and money orders must be mailed to the address on the invoice.
- Credit card payments will be accepted according to invoice instructions.
- Payments are not accepted at library service desks.