Never Filed a VA Disability Claim

We look forward to assisting you in filing your first VA Disability Claim. At the bottom of this page is a link to make an appointment with one of our Veteran Services officers, but before you make an appointment, here is what you will need to bring with you:

  • DD214s (all of them) or Discharge Certificates
  • Military Medical Service Treatment Records (STRs/SMRs)

Copies of your DD 214 and STRs/SMRs can be requested online here:

You can also request your DD 214 and STRs/SMRs by using the attached SF-180

  • A most effective way to file a VA Disability Claim is to include copies of your medical records that contain diagnosis and treatment entries of the issue(s) you are claiming. This would include Military Medical Records, (called MMRs, SMRs and STRs) VA medical treatment records as well as all civilian medical records. If you were given a copy of your Military Medical Records when you separated or retired then please go page by page and tab each item you wish to claim before meeting with us. Small post-it-notes work great.
  • You can also ask any civilian medical provider for copies of their records (there may be a cost to you to obtain these) and do the same.
  • At the very least we will need the name and addresses (dates are very helpful too) of every civilian doctor or medical facility that’s treated you. This includes any out-of-state civilian doctors and also the locations of each VA Hospital or Clinic that has treated you.
  • To obtain copies of your VA Medical records – go to your local VA Clinic and locate the Release of Information (ROI) office and request copies from every VA medical facility that has treated you (especially those outside our local area)

All medical records must be paper copies, not CD or DVD

  • If you are married, we need your spouse’s social security number and a copy of your marriage certificate
  • We need dates, cities, states (Country name if outside the US) of all previous marriages, divorces, and deaths for YOUR and the VETERAN’S former (or late) spouses
  • If you have dependents, we also need social security numbers and birth certificates
  • Bank account information, i.e. routing number and account number