DIC Compensation for Surviving Spouse/Dependent


If you're the surviving spouse, child or parent of a service member who died in the line of duty, or the survivor of a veteran who died from a service-related injury or illness, you may be able to receive Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC).

Before your appointment, please make sure you have the following:

  • DD 214 (All of them or Discharge Certificate) showing veteran served during one of the approved wartimes
  • Veteran’s VA rating decisions/award letters (all of them)
  • Death certificate long form (showing cause of death)
  • Copy of marriage license 
  • Dates, cities and states (country name, if outside the U.S.) of all previous marriages, divorces and deaths for your and the veteran’s former spouses
  • Statement of account from funeral home showing:
    • Name of the deceased veteran
    • Nature of the cost of the services and merchandise
    • Zero balance or “paid in full”
    • Expenses for transportation of the veteran’s remains
  • Government ID
  • Voided check

All medical records must be on a USB drive or disc.

Please click here to check: https://www.va.gov/disability/dependency-indemnity-compensation