County offices closed for Veterans Day
Residents asked to honor veterans virtually
Santa Rosa County's traditional Veterans Day ceremony at the Veterans Memorial Plaza has been cancelled for 2020. Residents are asked to honor veterans virtually this year. Here are a few ideas:
1 - Volunteer! Literally lend a helping hand.
2 - Give back! Donate to an organization that serves veterans. CharityNavigator, an organization that evaluates charities, offers a list of highly rated military and veterans organizations.
3 - Take a (virtual) hike! Tour national monuments, museums and battlefields online.
4 - Hit the books! Learning about past wars, strategy, and the history of our armed forces helps you appreciate the experiences of our military.
5 - Give them a break. Business owners can offer a special service to veterans - a free cup of coffee or dessert, an additional discount, a complimentary upgrade or a free consultation.
Santa Rosa County Animal Services offers veterans a special deal year round! Operation Furever Freedom is a program designed to provide veterans, active-duty military, reservists and National Guardsmen with up to two pets, all fees waived. Military dependents are eligible for reduced rates. An active ID or DD 214 card must be provided. Call 850-983-4680 for more information.
Are you a new veteran or veteran who is new to the county? Santa Rosa County's Veterans Services office (850-981-7155) assists veterans and their families for benefits they may be entitled to including:
- Initial claims for benefits (disability and pension)
- Increases in service connected disability benefits
- Death benefits
- Education benefits
- VA Guaranteed Home Loan application
- Life insurance information
- Property tax information for service connected disabled veterans
"American truly is the home of the free because of the brave," said Commission Chairman Don Salter, District 3. "Because they bravely do what they are called to do, we can safely do what we are free to do. One of the best ways you can honor our men and women in uniform this year is to be the kind of American worth fighting for."
# # #
County Office Closures
The following Santa Rosa County offices will be closed Wed., Nov. 11 in observance of Veterans Day:
- Santa Rosa County Board of Commissioners, libraries and animal shelter
- Santa Rosa County Clerk of the Court
- Santa Rosa County Property Appraiser
- Santa Rosa County Supervisor of Elections
- Santa Rosa County Tax Collector
- 9-1-1 dispatch, ambulance service and fire departments are open daily.
- Central Landfill will be open regular hours.
# # #