Veterans Day events in Santa Rosa County
Two Veterans Day events in Santa Rosa County will be attended by members of the Board of County Commissioners on Monday, November 12. Activities are as follows:
Veterans Memorial Plaza, Milton
9:15 a.m. - All parade attendees assemble at Milton High School for parade
9:30 a.m. - Parade travels down Highway 87 to Berryhill then to Willing ending at the Veterans Memorial Plaza 11:00 a.m.
- Ceremony at Veterans Memorial Plaza, 5191 Willing Street in Milton
- Introduction from Santa Rosa County Commissioner Don Salter
- Presentation of colors by Milton High School NJROTC
- Invocation by NASWF LTJG Frank J. Tillotson
- National anthem by Milton High School Choir and Director Katie Wernette
- Post of colors by Milton High School NJROTC
- Proclamations by City of Milton Mayor Wesley Meiss and Santa Rosa County Commission Chairman Bob Cole
- Introduction of Speaker - Commissioner Don Salter
- Keynote Speaker - Col. David Morris
- Presentation of God Bless America by Milton High School Choir, Director Katie Wernette
- Laying of the wreaths - veterans organizations
- Rifle salute - NAS Whiting Field Rifle Team
- Taps - Milton High School Band, Director Gray Weaver
- Benediction - Pastor Jackie Crutchfield, Community of Christ Church
12:00 p.m. - 4H Cookout (donations accepted)
In the event of severe weather, events will be held at Milton High School. For more information, contact Vickie Powers 850-860-2427.
1:00 p.m. (approximately) - World War 1 100th anniversary plaque and oak tree will be dedicated at the Bagdad Mill Site Park following the veterans day activities.
"At the end of World War I, the Santa Rosa County Commissioners at that time dedicated a pine tree and plaque to each of the men who fell in honor of our country during that war," said Commission Chairman Bob Cole, District 2. "On Veterans Day this year, thanks to the assistance of Milton City Councilwoman Mary Johnson and my fellow board members, we will be dedicating a plaque and a tree at the Bagdad Mill Site Park in honor of each man who died in that conflict."
Navarre Park, Navarre10:30 - Junior ROTC March to Navarre Park, 8543 Navarre Parkway in Navarre
11:00 - Ceremony at Navarre Park
An open house with lunch will be held immediately following at the American Legion Post 382, 1850 Luneta Street in Navarre. For more information, contact the American Legion, 850-936-5888.
Holiday Closures Reminder
The following Santa Rosa County offices will be closed Mon., Nov. 12 in honor of Veterans Day.
- Santa Rosa County Board of Commissioners including the library system and animal shelter.
- The Central Landfill will be open Mon., Nov. 12 from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Santa Rosa County 9-1-1 dispatch, Lifeguard Ambulance Service and fire departments are open daily
- Santa Rosa County Clerk of the Court
- Santa Rosa County Property Appraiser
- Santa Rosa County Supervisor of Elections
- Santa Rosa County Tax Collector
# # #